II International Conference on Mathematics Textbook Research and Development
II Conferência Internacional em Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento de Livros Didáticos de Matemática
Research focused on the analysis and development of textbooks (in conventional format or digital media) has recently gained great prominence in the international arena of research in mathematics education. This prominence is reflected, for example, in the International Conference on School Mathematics Textbooks (ICSMT), held in Shanghai in 2011, and in the ZDM special issue (Volume 45, Issue 5, September 2013), on textbooks research in mathematics education.
Also reflecting this trend, the first International Conference on Mathematics Textbook Research and Development (ICMT-2014) took place at the University of Southampton (UK), from 29 to 31 July 2014. About 180 participants, from 30 different countries, attended ICMT-2014. ICMT-2014 proceedings are available on http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/374809/. Visit also ICMT-2014’s official website on: http://blog.soton.ac.uk/icmtrd2014/.
It is our pleasure to announce the II International Conference on Mathematics Textbook Research and Development / II Conferência Internacional em Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento de Livros Didáticos de Matemática (ICMT2), to be held from 7 to 11 May 2017, at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) and at the Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro (UNIRIO), Brasil.
The organization of ICMT2 in Brazil is a collaborative initiative of the Brazilian Society of Mathematics Education (SBEM), the Brazilian Mathematical Society (SBM), the Brazilian Society of Applied and Computational Mathematics (SBMAC) and the Mathematical Space in Portuguese Language/ International Committee on Mathematics Instruction (EMeLP / ICMI).
ICMT2 will feature different activities, including plenary lectures, symposia, workshops, oral presentations, posters and special activities addressed to teachers. Accepted and presented papers will be published after a peer-review process in Proceedings following the Conference.
- Textbook research (concepts, issues, methods, directions, etc.)
- Textbook analysis (characteristics, treatment of contents and/or pedagogy, etc.)
- Analysis of historical textbooks
- Textbook use (by teachers, by students, and/or by other parties)
- Textbooks and student achievement
- Textbook development (domain/competence analyses, teaching trajectories, task design, format of presenting the “content” to the student, format of presenting the “content” to the teacher (teacher guides))
- Textbook policies (governmental educational policy about textbooks, distribution, market strategies)
- Evolution of textbooks in the light of new digital technologies (including integration of ICT tools and innovation, e-textbook)
- Other disciplines in mathematics textbooks & mathematics in textbooks of other disciplines
- Other major relevant issues about mathematics textbooks
Modalities of contributions, besides invited lectures:
- oral presentation (in English, 30 minute presentation; abstract 1 page incl. references)
- symposium (in English, 180 mins)
- workshop (in English, 120 mins)
- workshop for teachers (in Portuguese, 120 mins)
- poster presentation (1 page abstract, in English, one time slot, 60 minutes)
In general, each applicant can submit at most two proposals (including oral presentations, workshops, etc.) with his/her name as first author.
- submission of proposal for a symposium: 15 August 2016
- information about acceptance of a symposium proposal: 15 September 2016
- submission of paper abstracts within symposia: 31 October 2016
- abstract submission for oral presentation, workshop and poster: 31 October 2016
- information about acceptance of such submissions: 15 December 2016
- registration fee: will be informed in the next Announcement
- registration deadline: 3 January 2017
- Conference: May, 7th to 11th, 2017
International Programme Committee (IPC):
- Rúbia Amaral (UNESP, Brazil) – Secretary
- Ubiratan d’Ambrosio (UNIAN, Brazil) – Honorary President
- Marcelo Borba (UNESP, Brazil)
- Rute Borba (Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Brazil)
- Marcos Cherinda (Universidade Pedagógica de Moçambique)
- Lianghuo Fan (University of Southampton, UK) – Co-chair
- Victor Giraldo (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) – Local Chair
- Patricio Herbst (University of Michigan, USA)
- Marja van den Heuvel-Panhuizen (Universiteit Utrecht, Netherlands)
- Abdellah El Idrissi (École Normale Supérieure de Marrakech, Morocco)
- Diana Jaramillo Quiceno (Universidad de Antioquia, Colombia)
- Cyril Julie (University of the Western Cape, South Africa)
- Gabriele Kaiser (Universität Hamburg, Germany)
- Alexander Karp (Teachers College, Columbia University, USA)
- Jeremy Kilpatrick (University of Georgia, USA)
- Jian Liu (Beijing Normal University, China)
- Eizo Nagasaki (National Institute for Educational Policy Research, Japan)
- Michael Otte (UNIAN, Brazil)
- Johan Prytz (Uppsala Universitet, Sweden)
- Angel Ruiz (Universidad de Costa Rica, Costa Rica)
- Kenneth Ruthven (University of Cambridge, UK)
- Gert Schubring (UFRJ, Brazil/Universität Bielefeld, Germany) – Chair
Local Organization Committe (LOC):
- Lourdes Werle de Almeida (UEL)
- Rúbia Amaral (UNESP) – Co-chair
- Franck Bellemain (UFPE)
- Marilena Bittar (UFMS)
- Victor Giraldo (UFRJ) – Chair
- Verônica Gitirana (UFPE)
- Carmen Mathias (UFSM)
- João Frederico Meyer (UNICAMP)
- João Bosco Pitombeira (PUC-Rio)
- Cydara Ripoll (UFRGS)
- Walcy Santos (UFRJ)
- Fábio Simas (UNIRIO)
- Ralph Teixeira (UFF)
The conference is organized by the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, UFRJ), the State University of São Paulo (Universidade Estadual Paulista, UNESP), the Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE) and the Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro (Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, UNIRIO). It is supported by the Brazilian Society of Mathematics (SBM), the Brazilian Mathematics Education Society (SBEM), and the Brazilian Society of Applied and Computational Mathematics.
 A symposium is organised by one or more researchers to discuss jointly, based on submitted papers, a specific issue of the thematic spectrum of the conference.
 A workshop is a kind of activity that allows participants to work (in small teams) around prepared documents, guided by specific questions.